Wednesday, July 16, 2008

IT'S FINALLY HITTING ME

The movers are here packing all of our stuff up as I sit here typing this. By the way, it's very awkward to sit here and type while someone is packing all your shiznit into cardboard boxes. Yeah, it's finally hitting me like a two-ton heavy thing, that this is for real. After living in Florida for over 23 years now, we're actually moving to Virginia, which now seems so far away. Really? We're actually doing this? What, are we crazy or something? No, I keep telling myself it's a good thing, right? It's exciting and scary and sad all at the same time.

I realized the other day that I've never lived more than 45 minutes away from my parents. It's been just far away enough that I knew if I ever needed anything, I could just drive a short distance and things would be ok. I love them dearly, and I'm going to miss them terribly. Since moving out of the house right after high school, we have grown very close. I can never repay them for all that they've done for me over the years. They are the best. It's going to be very difficult to say goodbye.

My brother Adam and I used to fight ALL the time in high school, but ever since he left for college, he and I have been best of friends. Since moving to St. Pete a couple of years ago, we live literally 3 or 4 miles apart now. We hang out every weekend with friends, and I can't imagine life without going to Courtside Grille for Friday happy hour, and then dinner afterwards. This has been a great bonding time for us. I'm so lucky to have a big brother like him in my life. He is truly a blessing, and I will miss him more than I can say.

A part of me doesn't want to leave. Not the part that's been bitching about wanting to move out of Florida for God knows how long now. Not the part that wants to see the changes of the seasons. Not the part that wants to experience new adventures and a change of pace. Not even the crazy part of me that wants to live in snow again. No, it's the part where my heart is.

It's funny that I've always considered Minnesota to be my home. After all, it's where I was born and raised until I was 12. But looking back on it, I guess Florida is really my home. I've been here about 2/3 of my life. It's where I did all my "growing up", made lifelong friends, and most importantly, met my wife. If it weren't for her going up to Virginia with me, I don't know if I could do it. But she is my rock, and I know together we'll be fine. Yeah, my heart is in Florida. I can admit it. But they say that "Virginia is for Lovers" Rnnt Rreww!! (Kinda looking forward to seeing if that's true).

So, even though I know we'll be happy and everything will work out fine, it is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye to Florida and hello to my new life in VA. No, I take that back. Lets not say goodbye, lets just say "till we meet again". Love you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom and I love you too! We're going to miss you and Lori very much, but we're also glad you can finally be together. If "VA is for Lovers" you 2 will be right at home!