Friday, June 27, 2008

Last Day on the Job

As I sit here packing up my stuff in my office, I am unexpectedly kind of sad. Although I'm looking forward to moving to Virginia and finding a new job, and new experiences, I realized that I really like my job, and the people I work with. This has been a great learning experience and growing experience for me that I couldn't have gotten anywhere else.

Geez, these two years went by really quick! Here's what I'll miss. I'll miss the rest of my video crew that I worked with very closely every day. Doug B., Patrick, Jeremy and James. We've became pretty close over the years traveling all over the country. They were a lot of fun to hang around. I'll miss traveling with them and joking around all the time.

I'll miss my boss, Charlie. I can say with all honesty that he is the best boss I've ever had. There is no question that he was always pulling for me and would always go out of his way for whatever I needed. He was so laid back and caring. He was kinda like a grandfather figure to me, just a great all around guy.

And I can't leave out Doug L. He's a producer that I've worked with on many projects since I've been here. In fact, we both got hired the same week, and we were both at the final interview together with the college president. I'll never forget the moment just before I was heading into the interview and Doug was coming out. Our future supervisor says to him, "Well, it's been nice knowing you." Doug turns and looks at me with stressed eyes, breathes heavily, and sighs, "Well, good luck." That was not what I wanted to hear right before going in. We both thought there was no way we were going to be hired after that interview. We both thought, 'well that's the last time I'll ever see that guy', but somehow we were both hired. We've become really good friends. I always tell Lori that he's my #1 fan. By that, I mean he always seems amazed when I come up with a new graphic or new editing technique, and tells me how cool it is. He really encourages me to keep going and coming up with better stuff and growing as an editor, and I really owe a lot to him for how much I've accomplished the last two years.

Now this may sound superficial to say, but what I think I'll miss most of all is my MacBook Pro laptop. I fell in love with this thing. I'm typing on it for the last time right now and it's kinda depressing. It's the property of the college, but it's been in my possession for so long, it really feels like it's mine. I've taken it home almost every night, on business trips, on vacations. You name it, it's been with me. I know I'll get another one someday, but they are really expensive and we probably won't be able to afford one anytime soon. Sigh.

So that's kinda how my day is. Kinda sad and kinda exciting at the same time. Two tough emotions to mix and work through. Talk more tomorrow, when hopefully I'm in a better mood.

Take care.

3 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'll miss The Scarecrow most of all.

Anonymous said...

"Breaking up is hard to do!" Mom and I know what last days on the job are like. Sad but excited to move on! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. We love you and promise to continue reading your blog!

I'm not crazy, just well mixed! said...

I know it's hard, I've been there. Who knows? Maybe the Macbook Pro will magically become animated and "find it's way home"

Hey! We can dream, right?

Love you