Friday, August 8, 2008

Walking in Manassas

Recently, Lori and I have found some great trails that run through the Bull Run National Park, where two major Civil War battles were fought. I used to hate walking for exercise, because I became bored after a couple of minutes. Granted, we used to just walk a few laps around the parking lot of our old apartment, and you can imagine how exciting that would be. But since we found these trails, I've actually looked forward to walking every night when Lori gets home from work.

The scenery is great, the weather has been beautiful, and we get to see tons of deer very close up, too. We even saw a fox yesterday up the trail a bit. Neither of us were sure if foxes... foxen? foxes? fox? whatever the plural is... would attack you or not, but as we approached, he quickly ran away, so we never get to find out. The other cool thing about walking here is getting to stroll by Civil War cannons and equipment on the battlefield. Lori's not much of an American history buff (she prefers ancient European and Asian history), but I love American history, and for me walking on the field of the first land battle of the Civil War is pretty cool!

So we're walking along talking on one of the trails last night, and to pass time, we start reciting quotes and lines from poems to see if the other can name who said or wrote it. My first one was "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both." After a short time, she guessed correctly that it was Robert Frost (The Road Less Traveled), which brought us off on a whole new tangent with a discussion on whether it can actually be called a "road" if it's in the woods... but anyway... We kept walking and I thought of another one. This time I asked her, "Who said... Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". With great conviction and without skipping a beat, she says, "CLINTON!!" I was not expecting that one, and if it were not for my trusty walking stick, I might have fallen down laughing. She just made my day with that one.

(By the way as a side note, it was supposedly Sigmund Freud that said the cigar quote, but there's been some debate about whether he actually said it or not, but that's the answer I would have accepted.)

2 comments:

I'm not crazy, just well mixed! said...

Come on! It makes so much more sense that Clinton said that and you know it.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I think it is foxes and you people are not right.