Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES

Last night we met a reporter friend of mine, Diane, at the National Mall for "Screen on the Green". Apparently, every Monday night during the summer they show a different classic movie on the grassy area called the Mall in downtown D.C. between the Washington Monument and the U.S. Capitol building.

We had a great time. We brought a large blanket to sit on, a picnic dinner, and some kettle corn. You're allowed to bring beer and wine as well, but we only had a small cooler with us, so we opted for a couple of Cokes. It was a great view under the stars too, with the Capitol building lit up at night as the backdrop in front, and the Washington Monument lit up to the back.

They showed the original Superman from 1978. We'd both seen it before, but not for a long time. I'd forgotten how good of a movie it was for it's day (except for the extremely cheesy ending).

Unfortunately this was the last one that they will be showing this summer, but we hope to go back next year. Maybe some of you would like to come up and join us for it? (**wink wink** ** hint hint**)

; )

3 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'll go! I didn't even know they had those.

It is a good thing you guys moved here.

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to make me move up there with you? I absolutely adore the DC area, and seeing pictures like that makes me want to go home, pack up my stuff, and hit the road...

Anonymous said...

I have lived in this great city for 5 years now and have yet to do Screen on the Green. Argggh!!! Maybe next year.