Friday, August 22, 2008

TEXTING 101

I just arrived back in Virginia after spending a week in St. Petersburg. I had a freelance job with my former employer for a few days, and ended up staying a few days longer to see my parents, who returned from two weeks in Russia on Sunday.

They had a few requests for me when they got back. One of these was to teach them how to text, or as dad calls it, how to "text message". I had a feeling this would be a challenge, but they actually took to it pretty well, until....

Picture us all sitting in the living room, me running back and forth to help each one with texts to each other, when mom asks if I can help her change her ringtone. "Sure", I say, and sit down to help her with it. Meanwhile, dad was fully engrossed in his phone, fingers flying (I had just taught him how to do punctuation). I cycled through the various ringtone choices for mom to pick from, and she finally settled on one she liked. When all of a sudden, *ding* she recieved a new message. She opened it, and read: "DID YOU CHANGE YOUR RINGTONE?" She looks up at dad with the most serious face and in a chastising voice exclaims, "YOU KNOW I CHANGED MY RINGTONE, YOU WERE RIGHT HERE IN THE SAME ROOM!!" She thought it was the dumbest thing ever that he would ask her a question that he so clearly knew the answer to. I started laughing, which I think started her laughing so hard she had to run to the bathroom, which made me laugh even harder. Of course, this ended up being the inside joke for the remainder of my time there.

Meanwhile, poor dad went from being so proud of himself for texting a question mark for the first time, to being ridiculed. (I'm still proud of you dad, for learning to "text message" so quickly).

We're a far ways off still, but I think with a little more coaching we'll be ready for the National Texting Championships next year... or maybe not.

LMAO : )

2 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

He figured it out quicker than a lot of other people I know.

Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, It's not NICE to make fun of "old people" especially when they are your parents! (I still need to know how to correct spelling errors on the darn thing!) ...Dad says "that's not the MAIN problem!"

Love you still and thanks. Mom